Associate Editor – Guns & Ammo
NOTICE OF OPENING: Outdoor Sportsman Group
LOCATION: Peoria, IL
CANDIDATE POOL: Internal/External Candidates
REPORTS TO: Editor
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until Filled
TO APPLY: CLICK HERE
The Associate Editor supports all Outdoor Sportsman Group media, print, online and television branded by Guns & Ammo and the Special Interest Publication Division.
In addition to the Associate Editor’s day-to-day responsibilities, attendance to reoccurring directive meetings will be required. During the seven-month period between August and February, production volume increases due to additional client-driven publication projects. The Associate Editor will adjust the pace in the workflow to ensure that each deadline is achieved in a timely manner.
Guns & Ammo; Special Interest Publications (Annuals & Magalogs):
The following responsibilities must be completed by the scheduled press date:
- Search for new article drafts from contributors and ensure timely downloading and appropriate filing onto the network server.
- Format articles for templates and style as necessary.
- Edit the initial draft of each contribution.
- Proofread and enter corrections through the server for all written copy.
- Copy edit written content for online publication.
- Copy edit the gallery in all stages of production, including bluelines and final proofs.
- Ensure the accuracy of technical information listed in each story to include addresses and phone numbers.
- Solicit press releases or additional information from manufacturers regarding new products.
- Responsible for inputting any corrections as directed by the editorial staff.
- Develop and maintain proficiency with InDesign and InCopy editing software.
- Completes all copy edit and correction entry prior to the publisher’s release dates.
- Create written content describing firearm-related products to be featured in each issue and related digital properties. (This task is coordinated with the editors.)
- Research and advise the editors regarding style change recommendations and changes within the annual Associated Press style guide.
- Maintain, update and apply the style guide.
- Input additional corrections as directed by the editorial staff.
- Maintain an up-to-date working knowledge of firearms, ammunition and accessories.
- Contribute to Outdoor Sportsman Group media outlets, including online and television broadcast video.
- Must be legally qualified and possess a current Illinois Firearm Owner Identification (FOID) card. A copy will be kept on file with Outdoor Sportsman Group’s Peoria office.
- Ownership of a gun club membership or other access to areas for testing and photography.
- The ability to travel on Outdoor Sportsman Group business.
- A Journalism/English degree or equivalent editorial work experience is required.
Please send a cover letter, salary requirements and resume.