Associate Editor – Guns & Ammo
NOTICE OF OPENING: Outdoor Sportsman Group
LOCATION: Peoria, IL
CANDIDATE POOL: Internal/External Candidates
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until Filled
TO APPLY: CLICK HERE
The Associate Editor reviews and edits text in articles and documents to be published in print or within projects as directed by the editor in accordance with approved style guides. The Associate Editor is also responsible for maintaining the Guns & Ammo style guide and verifying its application across all Guns & Ammo properties. The Associate Editor is responsible for ensuring quality, accuracy and consistency before release to print and digital media.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILTIES:
- Proofreads at each stage of production.
- Checks for grammar, punctuation, usage, capitalization, style, layout, format, inconsistencies, redundancies and verifies facts as needed.
- Maintains a client contact library for editorial reference.
- Maintains a library of client brands, standards and logos.
- Maintains a library of client product information and legal information.
- Identifies process improvement opportunities and communicates them to the editor.
- Proof all mechanicals and bluelines.
- Assist with raw advertising copy as needed.
- Review new manuscripts as needed.
- Check proofs against roadmaps provided by the production department.
- Monitor compliance with the editorial production schedule.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English or Creative Writing.
- Three (3) years of professional experience in magazine editorial procedures.
- Knowledge in AP Style and proofreader’s marks.
- Able to be accurate under extremely tight deadlines.
- Able to collaborate as an effective team member.
- Able to communicate changes clearly.
- Knowledge of and interest in the outdoors, outdoor sports and firearm-related subjects.
- Must have a strong work ethic and a passion for searching out errors and correcting grammar.
- Must have the ability to reprioritize tasks according to changing demands.
- Ability to learn new programs, processes and systems quickly.
- Experience using Mac computers, InDesign, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Ability to utilize research tools.