Digital Editor – Shooting
NOTICE OF OPENING: Outdoor Sportsman Group
LOCATION: Harrisburg, PA; Peoria, IL; Tulsa, OK
CANDIDATE POOL: Internal/External Candidates
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until Filled
TO APPLY: CLICK HERE
This Digital Editor supports all digital media branded by various shooting titles, which include: Shooting Times, Handguns, Rifle Shooter and Firearms News.
In addition to the Digital Editor’s day-to-day responsibilities, attendance to reoccurring directive meetings will be required. The Digital Editor will adjust the pace in the workflow to ensure that each deadline is achieved in a timely manner. The Digital Editor has the primary duty to complete these tasks:
- Work with the Shooting Publisher, Print Editors and Director of Digital Editorial to develop content strategies aligned with short-term and long-term goals
- Collaborate as needed with Ad Sales, Social, Marketing, Research, TV Programming and Design teams to plan and develop site content, style and layout
- Participate in developing engaging content, proofread, edit for SEO and publish
- Work with other Digital Editors and content providers to ensure brand consistency and voice
- Keep up to date with SEO best practices
- Use reporting tools to analyze website traffic and user-engagement metrics
- Help manage content distribution to social media, marketing and newsletter platforms to increase web traffic
- Help maintain editorial calendar
- Ensure compliance with law (e.g. copyright and data protection)
- Stay up to date with developments and generate new ideas to draw audience’s attention
- Solicit press releases or additional information from clients/manufacturers regarding new products.
- Responsible for inputting any content corrections as directed.
- Create written content describing firearm-related products to be featured on digital platforms.
- Research and remain up to date on style change recommendations and changes within the annual Associated Press style guide (digital).
- Maintain, update and apply style guides.
- Maintain an up-to-date working knowledge of firearms, ammunition and accessories.
- Contribute to OSG media outlets as directed, including print, television broadcast video, social media and digital video.
- Must be legally qualified to own firearms.
- Ownership of a gun club membership or other access to areas for testing and photography.
- The ability to travel on OSG business, such as tradeshows and meetings.
- Technical knowledge of HTML and web publishing
- Strong skills in SEO and knowledge of web traffic metrics
- Knowledge of social media marketing
- Ability to write and edit material on tight deadlines
- Ability to conduct interviews for stories
- Extremely strong attention to detail
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- A passion for the outdoor industry, specifically the shooting industry
- Ability to work independently, with minimal guidance, and have enough discretion to resolve complex problems
- Strong working knowledge of the Associated Press Stylebook
- Experience with Photo editing software such as Adobe Photoshop
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as schedule dictates
- Willingness to travel 3-4 times a year for up to a week at a time
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, English or related field or Equivalent editorial work experience, required.
- Minimum 2+ years of experience in the shooting industry