Editorial Staff Writer
NOTICE OF OPENING: Major League Fishing
LOCATION: Tulsa, OK
CANDIDATE POOL: Internal/External Candidates
DEPARTMENT: Exec & Admin
REPORTS TO: Manager, Digital Editorial
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until Filled
TO APPLY: CLICK HERE
Major League Fishing (MLF) is seeking a motivated individual for the position of Editorial Staff Writer. This person will work alongside a creative team, including a Digital Content Editor, Social Media Specialist, and Manager of Digital Editorial to create content for MajorLeagueFishing.com and make sure MLF has a strong presence online, across all platforms.
MLF is a fast-paced and exciting company that allows individuals to show off their creative skills and take their talents to the next level. We are looking for a creative writer who lives to tell stories about professional anglers and the bass fishing industry. The ideal candidate is full of energy and upbeat. This is a full-time position based in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
MINIMUM POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Will produce a variety of articles about Major League Fishing, the league’s professional anglers, and other related news in the bass fishing industry.
- Will be responsible for staying on top of the latest news and trends in bass fishing industry and will consistently come up with original story ideas that interest MLF fans.
- Will become an expert on Major League Fishing events, and the difference between the various competitions (Cup events, Bass Pro Tour events, Championships).
- Build a positive, professional relationship with MLF Pros and other influential figures in the bass fishing industry.
- Interview a variety of people both in person and over the phone, asking appropriate questions that generate interesting and meaningful quotes that will translate into engaging articles.
- Will need to know the ins and outs of the CMS (content management system) for the MajorLeagueFishing.com, the MLF App, and know how to publish articles when needed.
- Provide continuous communication to the Digital Content Team regarding ongoing projects and competitions.
- Review all content with a critical eye before it is submitted for publication, looking for spelling/grammar errors and editing mistakes in copy.
- Understand SEO initiatives to help MLF articles appear in related searches.
- Apply high-level creative and journalistic skills in producing and editing stories.
- Work to meet aggressive editorial goals as dictated by the editorial calendar.
- Travel and working on weekends may be required.
MINIMUM POSITION QUALIFICATIONS:
- Knowledge of the professional bass fishing industry preferred, not required.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills are required.
- Ability to enterprise stories and capture readers’ attention.
- Willingness to make the most out of every assignment.
- Experience with Content Management Systems.
- Basic knowledge of HTML5 preferred, not required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, communications, a related field, or equivalent experience.
- Professional experience as a writer, journalist, editor, producer or a related field.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and contribute to multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong time-management skills and the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud and Microsoft Office applications preferred, not required.
- Proficient interpersonal skills both in person and by phone.