Managing Editor – Florida Sportsman Magazine
NOTICE OF OPENING: Outdoor Sportsman Group
LOCATION: Stuart, FL
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
CANDIDATE POOL: Internal/External Candidates
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until Filled
TO APPLY: CLICK HERE
Nature of Work:
As the Managing Editor, you will oversee the department editing and associated correspondence for the Florida Sportsman Magazine.
Examples of work performed:
- Manage Field Editors
- Receive copy by monthly deadline and ready it for print.
- Identify and develop new Field Editors as needed.
- Work with Online Editor to acquire supporting images and social media stories.
- Seminars: Work with existing team of contributors on developing how-to articles of 600-700 words, with images. Average of 5 columns per issue.
- Work with columnist on recipes, seasonal topics (will be developing new columnist for 2022)
- New Products: Receive and file press releases. Prepare 3-4 short items w/photo per issue.
- Department editing (short form pieces) for Special Interest Publications
- Contribute monthly feature article to the magazine and Special Interest Publications
- Attend industry functions as needed
- Mac In-Design Editing work – Cutting copy, captions, proofing as needed.
- Write Table of Contents, sidebars and other supporting matter in each issue as needed
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business needs. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
- Typical Office Conditions
- Travel Required
- Working in a fishing/boating environment at times
- Must work at Stuart office 8:45 a.m.-5 p.m daily M-F and be willing to work later during deadline periods, some weekends, etc.
- BS/BA degree in field. Preferably in English or Journalism, but strong writing skills more important than subject.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Aptitude with still photography and basic video (GoPro, DSLR, etc.)
- Familiarity with Mac OS (and MS Office – Outlook, Teams, etc.)
- Knowledgeable in fishing
- Ability to maintain positive attitude and demonstrate professionalism
- Ability to complete work accurately and in a timely manner
- Ability to work independently & in a group setting and demonstrate good judgment skills
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Possesses excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and adapt to changing environments
- 12 Paid Company Holidays
- Health Insurance (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Life Insurance
- Short and Long-term Disability
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Flexible Spending plans (FSAs)
- 401K plan
Equal Employment Opportunity
Kroenke Sports & Entertainment (KSE) provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.