NOTICE OF OPENING: Outdoor Sportsman Group – Guns & Ammo / Special Interest Publication Division / Firearms News
LOCATION: Peoria, IL
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Until Filled
The Associate Editor supports all OSG media, print, online and television branded by Guns & Ammo, Special Interest Publication Division and Firearms News. In addition to the Associate Editor’s day-to-day responsibilities, attendance to reoccurring directive meetings will be required. During the seven-month period between August and February, production volume increases due to additional client-driven publication projects. The Associate Editor is expected to adjust the pace in the workflow to ensure that each deadline is achieved in a timely manner. The Associate Editor has the primary duty to complete the following tasks.
MINIMUM POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES:
Guns & Ammo; Special Interest Publications; Firearms News (Annuals & Magalogs)
The following responsibilities must be completed by the scheduled press date:
- Searches for new article drafts from contributors and ensures the timely download and appropriate filing onto the network server.
- Formats articles for templates and style as necessary.
- Edits the initial draft of each contribution.
- Proofreads and enters corrections through the server for all written copy.
- Copy edits written content for publication online.
- Copy edits the galley in all stages of the production cycle up to and including bluelines and final proofs.
- Researches correctness of technical information listed in each story to include addresses and phone numbers.
- Solicits necessary press releases or additional information from manufacturers regarding new products only as directed.
- Responsible for inputting any corrections as directed by the editors.
- Develops and maintains proficiency with InDesign and InCopy editing software.
- Completes all copy edit and correction entry prior to the publisher’s release dates.
- Creates written content describing firearm-related products to be featured in each issue and related digital properties. (This task is coordinated with the editors.)
- Researches and advises the editors regarding style change recommendations and changes within the annual Associated Press style guide.
- Maintains, updates, and applies the style guide.
- Responsible for inputting additional corrections as directed by the editors.
- Maintain an up-to-date working knowledge of firearms, ammunition and accessories.
Supplemental duties will include:
- Contribute to OSG media outlets including online and television broadcast video.
- Must be legally qualified and possess a current Illinois Firearm Owner Identification (FOID) card. A copy will be kept on file with OSG’s Peoria office.
- The Associate Editor will need a gun club membership or other access to areas for testing and photography.
- Must be willing and able to travel on OSG business.
MINIMUM POSITION QUALIFICATIONS:
A journalism/English degree or equivalent editorial work experience is required.
Please send a cover letter, salary requirements, and resume.